POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A UFO-related contest in Sweden : Re: A UFO-related contest in Sweden Server Time
8 Aug 2024 22:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A UFO-related contest in Sweden
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 12 Sep 2000 21:16:41
Message: <39bed579@news.povray.org>
"Jan Danielsson" <Jan### [at] falunmailteliacom> wrote in message
| The Swedish tv-channel "TV4" has announced a competition: "Fake UFO
sighting
| videos or photos" as some kind of "new episodes of X-Files"-jippo-thing.|
| A friend of mine made a cool picture. He went out with a digital camera,
took
| a picture over the city where he lives, then cooked together a UFO
sighting
| picture using Maya and that photo.
|
| Anyone here done any of those kind of pictures (placing traced objects in
| real world photos) with Pov-Ray?

Yep, not very good though.  Mainly because of pixel flickering of the
point-like light at the start of the animation.  That and the fact it didn't
look like much in real life either.  Yes, you heard me right, I did a
recreation of something I saw once.  I made a photograph with the same
direction and time a while after this happened so I would have at least
something to go by and not leave it to memory alone.
That was years before I came across POV-Ray so one day I finally located the
photo and used it for a background and went about making the UFO scene using
a spline path for it's supposed flight.  It's as similar as I could make it
at the time and because there's not much to it doesn't actually look like
much.  Every once in a while I'd tell people about the flying glowing bar of
butter with it's ends trimmed at an angle, you can guess the reactions I
always get for saying that  :-)
So anyway, I have the animation on-line at:
http://hometown.aol.com/persistenceofv/ufo_a0.mpg
I've found that I need to right-click on the URL and Save Target As... to
put it on disk and play from there (Windows Media Player anyhow) or it clips
the end where the UFO drops below the tree line.
And as I said, the pixelation really messes the recreation up, in actuality
the UFO didn't fluctuate or change color or anything, only it's apparent
size changed.  I at first thought it was a cars headlights beaming toward me
from the hilltop a couple miles distant.
To further the story, since I have a captive audience, I went inside my home
and got a 9X rifle scope to look through to see where it landed and there
was at first one person it looked like.  Except this person was enshrouded
in a light bluish glow walking toward my right at the same distance of the
UFO and then a second "person" looking likewise following after the first.
Yes, it was strange.  Whether I believe it to have been a flying saucer and
such not easy to dismiss.  I never could explain the whole thing away as
being a helicopter or plane even though the field across the road (and
across the field between me and that road) was often used to fly small
private planes in and out of.  Was a Med-flight helicopter there one night
too after a bad traffic accident.  The thing I saw looked nothing like any
of that.  Also, it appeared to land where a large church lawn is along some
power lines across the highway from the towns power substation, not at the
large field because of it going behind trees.

Bob